Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 360 Splurge is where you ask the questions and we'll answer them in our reviews!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Official CondemnedThread

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Official CondemnedThread Empty
PostSubject: Official CondemnedThread   Official CondemnedThread I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Condemned
Developer: Monolith Productions
Publisher: Sega
Website: Unfortunately, this game's official site is now offline

Official CondemnedThread 329622ps

Horror, terror and suspense. Films have been made that are without peer when it comes to producing a spine-tingling atmosphere. Invariably, these are films from yester-year, because you have to be a certain age to be taken in by scary movies. Films like Jaws, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Predator and even Terminator. Watching those for the first time was an experience I have never forgotten. But to this list of terror-inducing experiences, you can add this game.

Official CondemnedThread Med_27

Now, for the sceptics amongst you, the question might be running through your mind that asks what sort of a baby you have to be to jump out of your skin in this game at regular intervals. Well, if you think of it this way, there are very manytried and tested ways to induce terror and horror whilst following something on the magic box. And everyone of these techniques is used to great effect in this game. Moody lighting? Check. Brutal and gory violence? Check. Long and poorly lit corridors? Check. And the list goes on. And even though you recognise the setups and the different techniques being used, you still can't help but be on edge whilst playing this game.

Official CondemnedThread Med_2

This game also features a very distinguishing piece of pub trivia. For anyone that is a fan of Heroes, you may be pleased to know that the voice of the main character, Ethan Thomas is voiced by none other than the actor Greg Grunberg. Otherwise known as the mind-reading cop from Heroes, also known as Matt Parkman.

Official CondemnedThread Matt_Parkman_Season_2

Something for the next pub quiz. But anyways, there is a lot of hokum about some evil that only you can stop. Something to do with your heritage, etc. In all honesty, I played this game so long ago, I don't remember the ins and outs of this game, only that there was a lot of scary screaming, lots of bone-crunching violence and even some very rudimentary forensic detective work. This game is certainly not a CSI-show equivalent. It's not even a CSI-game equivalent. You do get some funky gadgets, but forget about using your detective skills to crack a case. Handholding, thy name is Condemned. And behold, the magic mobile that can do it all. iPhone, eat your heart out.

Official CondemnedThread Med_11

But back to the violence and the game. You must remember that this was one of the first wave of games released all the way back sometime in 2005. And as such, it is now available for an absolute bargain price. You really have to treat yourself. It is not the most difficult of games. There is even the very handy carrot of a steady stream of achievements per level. But it is frantic, sporadically terrifying and every bit a unique experience as one of those 80's horror films. I know that Bioshock made it quite stylish to dispatch of splicers with a wrench, but Condemned made it brutal.

Official CondemnedThread Med_21

Thankfully, this game slipped under the BBFC's radar, otherwise there would be another game slapped with a ridiculous ban that would be overturned on appeal. If this game is not yet on your gamercard, get it, play it and see what 360splurge classes as terror-inducing game.
Back to top Go down
shady

shady

PostSubject: Re: Official CondemnedThread   Official CondemnedThread I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:55 am

Real scary game, but I really have to psych myself up to play it, get an attack of nerves just thinking about putting the CD in the drawer, lol!
Back to top Go down
http://chat.n.tonez.peperonity.com
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Official CondemnedThread   Official CondemnedThread I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:24 am

I played this game a few times and not once did I find it unbearably scary; tense at points but never scary. Even playing it in pitch darkness didn't really work! Plus the ending makes no sense whatsoever! It starts off with psychotic hobos, throws some dead birds at you and then... well, that might be a spoiler even now!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official CondemnedThread   Official CondemnedThread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official CondemnedThread
Page 1 of 1