The 360 Splurge is where you ask the questions and we'll answer them in our reviews!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread   Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:39 am

Grand Theft Auto IV
Developer: Rockstar North
Publisher: Rockstar Games

It is fair to say that as gamers, we have been quite spoiled recently in the number of high-profile games that we have been able to buy and enjoy on our console. If you were an Xbox 1 fan, you may have been slightly annoyed about the fact that even though we had excellent games to choose from, there were a few popular games we only received after they had their airing on a rival console. And that was annoying because it was always used as ammunition for why the Xbox was a crappy console. But no more, kids. No more.

We are now in the position of having the console of choice for both consumers and developers and we can now sit back and wait for the release of THE game that everyone knows. The game that politicians will use as an example of why videogames are bad. The game that will sell more than Halo 3. The game that can cause controversy like no other. The game that brought us the phrase "hot chocolate". The game that the whole videogaming community is waiting for.

The game is not even out yet, but it has already done its bit for stirring the hornets nest. The mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg has already let it be known that he doesn't "support any video game where you earn points for injuring or killing police officers". We won't go into details about how wrong he is about what you actually earn points for in the game. We won't even go into how hypocritical it is to complain about videogaming violence that shows the death of police officers and then be quite happy to let any number of action films be shot in New York that depict the same thing.

We've even had the infamous Florida lawyer Jack Thompson try and stop the release of the game, because there is a lawyer in the game that has to be assassinated and he thinks it is based on him. And all of this, before the game has even got an official release date. Crikey.

What we do know is that the game is on its way, definitely in 2008. Sometime between February and April. And we know that it will not be a total departure from what has gone before since GTA III. And since that game was released, other publishers have jumped into that crime/openworld genre. We've had games like Saint's Row, Just Cause, The Godfather, Crackdown and a few others. All very clever games and all using the same template. Will GTA IV be able to bring something to the table that will elevate it above all these other games or their sequels? Only time will tell.

As I am sure you already know, the game is set in a fictional New York-a-like. Liberty City, for those that are familiar with the GTA universe. You take control of Niko Bellic, an eastern european wanting to live the american dream. Gameplay details are a little sketchy at the moment, but I think it is fair to say that you will be able to engage in a fair amount of stealing, murder and rampage. It's also been reported that this time around, Liberty City will be the biggest city in any GTA game. And as a nod to modern technology, you will be able to use your mobile phoe to aid you in your missions. Need to assassinate someone in a crowded area, but don't know who it is? Call their phone, see who picks up and send him to the afterlife. Quite clever.

As always, any game with that much history and anticipation, simply cannot fail. It is time to set our calendars for the phantom date, sit back and enjoy the countdown. Between now and release of this game, I can only imagine that there will be a load more controversy, which will push the anticipation of this game sky-high. But nevermind. Say hello to the first must-have game of 2008. Take two.

Back to top Go down
Lexx87

PostSubject: Just pre-ordered myself the special edition   Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Not sure if it's going to be worth it but it has to be the coolest special edition in the history of...ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread   Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:45 pm

Yeah I've got the Special Edition and a standard copy on pre-order.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: GTA   Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:56 am

Yeh i preordered this game it looks amazing well better than any other gta personally my best one so far will be vice city stories.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread   Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:29 am

San Andreas is easily my favourite. One of my top ten games ever I would think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread   

Back to top Go down

Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread
Page 1 of 1